Am I Eligible For An Abortion In Singapore?
Abortion is available to any Singaporean citizen in need of it regardless of age or reason, as long as:
- The pregnancy does not exceed 24 weeks, unless the procedure is necessary to preserve the life and health of the mother
- The abortion is performed by an authorized abortion surgeon an authorized healthcare institution
- Unmarried girls below 16 but above 14 obtain a Certificate of Attendance from the Ministry of Health
- Girls below 14 will have their parents and the authorities notified prior to the procedure (statutory rape).
Singapore also offers abortion for foreigners, provided that one of the following criteria is met:
- they have a valid work pass issued by Ministry of Manpower (WP/S/EP); or
- they have stayed in Singapore for more than 4 consecutive months prior to the date of abortion; or
- they are married to a Singapore citizen;or
- they are married to a Singapore PR AND have stayed in Singapore for more than 4 consecutive months
Foreigners with a tourist pass are not eligible to have an abortion in Singapore, unless the procedure is
performed as a medical emergency (e.g. spontaneous miscarriage). In this case, abortion procedure is available if the
pregnant woman is of legal age (21 and above).
Once one of the four conditions are met, the same abortion regulations given to Singaporean citizens now apply to foreigners. For instance, the woman is also required to undergo mandatory counselling with a qualified professional at an accredited abortion clinic. There is also a 48-hour waiting period before the abortion can be carried out.